In short, IPAF’s advice is:
• When moving the machine using tracks, on level ground, and/or in the vicinity of walls or other vertical obstacles, use outriggers extended to within 10cm of their full deployment whenever possible.
• Outriggers must always be used in this way when travelling at an angle to an incline.
• Small obstructions such as kerbs or abrupt level changes must never be negotiated without using a ramp or other device to smooth out the step change.
• Use track mats or similar material to prevent damage to susceptible surfaces including grassed areas.
• Spreader plates must always be used under the outriggers when the platform is in use.
Text from www.ipaf.org